The recently announced professional development program for Caribbean hospitality professionals, launched by the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association Education Foundation (CHTAEF) and Les Roches, the hospitality management institution, has named two dozen Caribbean scholarship recipients.
Designed to accelerate the trajectory of participants’ hospitality careers, the program attracted more than 150 applicants over the summer.
Eleven candidates received a joint scholarship, which covers more than 75 percent of the program cost, and Les Roches offered a 50 percent bursary to an additional 13 candidates whose qualifications and potential could not be overlooked by the evaluation committee.
Candidates were selected from across the Caribbean and include hospitality professionals from both independent hotels and globally recognized branded hotels.
Scholarship recipients hail from Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, Aruba, The Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Guyana, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, Trinidad & Tobago, and Turks & Caicos.
“The support of CHTA member hoteliers, who have encouraged their staff to apply to this executive postgraduate online program, demonstrates a strong commitment to quality tourism and excellence in the region,” said Carlos Diez de la Lastra Buigues, Managing Director of Les Roches Marbella.
Atlantis Paradise Island in The Bahamas and St. Lucia’s Ladera Resort and Bay Gardens Resorts will add to the roster of scholars by supporting additional candidates for the program in the future, while Sandals Foundation has committed a US$10,000 donation toward the overall sustainability of the program, supporting some of the most deserving candidates across the region’s hospitality sector.
Karolin Troubetzkoy, Chair of CHTAEF, said the Foundation was delighted to live up to its mission to improve and elevate the quality of tourism professionals through education and training. “We need to make serious investments in the future leaders of our region, while ensuring that the Caribbean is known as a center of excellence in one of the largest industries in the world. And we are off to a great start with Les Roches and our region’s finest hotels and resorts,” she stated.
The full list of scholars, their nationalities and their company affiliations follows:
CHTAEF/LES ROCHES PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM WINNERS
- Anguilla: Jameel Rochester, Anguilla Tourist Board
- Antigua & Barbuda: Kafi Samuels, Sandals Grande Antigua
- Aruba: Mitchell Goeldjar, Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort
- The Bahamas: Dorothy Deveaux, Atlantis Paradise Island
- Bermuda: Kaven Gibbons, Rosewood Bermuda
- Guyana: Gavin O’Brien, Cara Hotels
- Jamaica: Stephen Fagan, Sandals Resorts International
- St. Kitts & Nevis: Shelda Webster, Timothy Beach Resort
- St. Lucia: Yvette Henry, Ladera Resort
- St. Lucia: Lucia Poleon, Ti Kaye Resort & Spa
- Trinidad & Tobago: Curtis Lee, Beaches Resorts
LES ROCHES BURSARY WINNERS
- Antigua & Barbuda: Rachel Browne, Hermitage Bay
- The Bahamas: Bradley Babbs, Atlantis Paradise Island
- Barbados: Shari Best, Mount Irvine Bay Resort
- Barbados & Trinidad: Rehana Dorsett, Atlantis Paradise Island
- Jamaica: Noshane King, Norwegian Cruise Line
- Puerto Rico: Sonya Marrero, Ladera Resort
- St. Kitts & Nevis: Shelisia Glasford, Park Hyatt St. Kitts
- St. Lucia: Richie Marcellin, Ladera Resort
- St. Lucia: Unice Calixte, Bay Gardens Resorts
- Trinidad & Tobago: Julia Harripaul, Canouan Estate Resort & Villas
- Trinidad & Tobago: Alaina Francois, Cara Hotels
- Trinidad & Tobago: Jessyka Gabriel, Mondrian Doha
- Turks & Caicos: Karen King, Point Grace Resort
About CHTA Education Foundation
CHTAEF was established in 1986 as an independent nonprofit offering tax-exempt status for donations. As part of its mission, CHTAEF provides people throughout the Caribbean region with an awareness of the varied career opportunities in the industry, as well as technical and professional development through scholarships, special assistance initiatives and other training programs. The Education Foundation has awarded more than US$2 million in scholarships and grants to applicants who demonstrate a strong commitment to the hotel and tourism industry. CHTAEF volunteer trustees administer one of the largest scholarship programs available in the Caribbean hospitality and tourism industry. Funds for these scholarships and grants are generated from corporate sponsorships, benefit auctions and special events.
Les Roches Global Hospitality Education
Les Roches is a Swiss institution focused on creating the innovative and entrepreneurial minds of tomorrow. Founded in 1954, Les Roches offers both undergraduate and graduate degrees in Hospitality, Tourism, and Event Management following the Swiss model of education. With three campuses across Switzerland, Spain and China, and a student body of more than 100 different nationalities, the institution provides students with a unique culturally diverse experience. Les Roches also has an academic alliance with the Indian School of Hospitality (ISH) with a partner campus in Gurugram (Delhi NCR). Les Roches ranks in the world’s top four for higher education institutions in Hospitality Management, and top three for Employer Reputation (QS World University Rankings, 2021). Part of Sommet Education, a worldwide leader in hospitality education, Les Roches is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE).
For more information, visit lesroches.edu.